There were many new additions to our LEAD internship program this year, including sponsoring our interns to participate in the After 5 Intern Program in Detroit, MI. This program introduces new workers to Detroit, allows them to experience the dynamic social and business life that it offers, and gives them the opportunity to network with other interns. The goal is to retain young talent and convince them that their future is in the Detroit area. Similarly, NTH believes that by improving the intern experience, young professionals will be inclined to stay with or return to NTH for full-time employment.
We have partnered with various college liaisons to stay in touch with talent and receive feedback from students. One of NTH’s college partners is Kyle Liechty, Intern and Co-op Coordinator at Michigan State University. On Wednesday, August 7, we welcomed Kyle to our Northville office to learn about the experience the Facilities Rehabilitation Intern, Ethan Frakes, had this summer. It was a great way to hear from the student and college mentor on how to best attract intern candidates in the future and to discuss the overall internship experience. Kyle was able to see NTH’s office environment and meet the Asset Management team that Ethan has been working with. It was helpful to receive feedback on how to attract interns and to improve our program. Ethan is pursuing his Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from Michigan State University and plans to return to finish his final semester this fall.
Overall, our LEAD program was a success this year. We had some talented, energetic and bright interns who chipped in on many of our most significant and high-profile projects. In addition to Ethan, we had the following five interns this summer:
- Colton Morrow returned to NTH as a Geotechnical Intern this year. Colton is working towards a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering at Michigan State University and will finish his final semester this fall. Colton will be staying on board with NTH, working from the Lansing office.
- Tiff Raetzel came to NTH this summer as a Civil Design Intern. Tiff recently received her Master of Science degree in Environmental Engineering from the University of Michigan.
- Jordyn Kreucher started her first internship with NTH this summer as a Geotechnical Intern. Jordyn is pursuing her Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering at the University of Michigan and will be returning there for her junior year in the fall.
- Emily Loftis joined NTH this summer as a Construction Support Intern in our Livonia Lab. Emily is pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Engineering from Michigan State University. She will return to MSU in the fall for her junior year and will continue to assist Construction Support with project work in the Lansing area.
- Mikayla Topp started with NTH this summer as an Air Quality Intern in our Grand Rapids office. Mikayla is pursuing a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Calvin University. She will return to school in the fall for her junior year and continue to assist the Air Quality team in Grand Rapids.
We want to thank all of our 2019 Interns for committing to this opportunity. It is inspiring to see young professionals with such high aspirations and initiative and we are happy to have them as part of our NTH family! Prospective 2020 interns should watch for postings in January and apply here.